Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Basic Reference Tools, Play Alongs, Journals, and Web Sites
BASIC REFERENCE TOOLS
- Meadows, Eddie S. Jazz scholarship and pedagogy: a research and information guide, 3rd ed. (New York: Routledge, 2006). Music Reference ML128.J3 M34 2005
- Porter, Ross. The essential jazz recordings: 101 CDs. (Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 2006). Music Reference ML156.9 P67 2006
TO PLAY ALONG:
Instructional recordings (CDs 3201- )
The Music Library owns a large set of play-along CDs (with booklets/music) on various jazz styles, produced by Jamey Aebersold. All ASU students, faculty and staff may check out the key to the Jazz Improvisation Lab (Broyhill Music Center, Room 452) The CD and music booklet may be checked out to take to the Lab for up to four hours at a time (though the key MUST BE RETURNED each day before the Music Library closes.)
To see what styles are covered, browse through the red books shelved behind the Oversize section.
Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns
Jazz, a film by Ken Burns, is a ten-part documentary that premiered on Public Television in January, 2001. The material found in the Streaming Video, DVDs, CDs from this documentary is an excellent introduction to the history and world of jazz.
Streaming Video (found in the WNCLN's Library Catalog under Author: Burns, Ken, 1953-
- Jazz. [Episode 1], Gumbo
- Jazz. [Episode 2], The Gift
- Jazz. [Episode 3], Our Language
- Jazz. [Episode 4], The True Welcome
- Jazz. [Episode 5], Swing: Pure Pleasure
- Jazz. [Episode 6], Swing: The Velocity of Celebration
- Jazz. [Episode 7], Dedicated to Chaos
- Jazz. [Episode 8], Risk
- Jazz. [Episode 9], The Adventure
- Jazz. [Episode 10], A Materpiece by Midnight
DVDs in the Music Library
CDs in the Music Library
Finding Recordings and Information about Jazz
TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT JAZZ:
- ML 3509 Jazz in general
- ML 3518 Big band jazz
- ML 3521 Blues and Rhythm and Blues
TO FIND RECORDINGS FOR LISTENING:
NOTE: Use WNCLN's Library Catalog to find jazz materials.
For general listening:
- Do a SUBJECT search using the terms "Jazz" or "Big band music" or "Jazz vocals."
- Use Related terms: "Blues (Music)" or "Ragtime music."
To find specific performers:
- Do an AUTHOR search on the performer's last and first name: e.g. "Parker, Charlie"
- If that retrieves little or nothing, do a WORD search using last name of performer, then LIMIT by location to Appalachian library.
- Note: Usually only the leader or principal performers are indexed in the catalog. If a musician worked as a sideman, use reference books to find the names of leaders he worked with, or read program notes of recorded anthologies.
To find specific pieces:
- Do a TITLE search for title or piece.
Individuals and groups for which we have no separate recordings may be included in one of the following anthologies:
- Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz, 5 discs (CD-2372)
- Jazz (Folkways Records) 11 discs (records 5763-5773)
- Big Band Jazz, 4 discs (CD-2319 - CD-2322)
- Singers and Soloists of the Swing Bands, 4 discs (CD-696 - CD-699)
- Consult CD program booklets for detailed information on performers and pieces recorded.
Online Tools for Research