Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Browsing the Shelves
Because printed music and books are classified--i.e., grouped with similar items on the shelves--browsing can be an effective method for finding material. Look on the shelves under the following numbers.
- 76 & 79 = Ensembles of solo voices, secular and sacred
- 82 = Masses
- 86 = Secular choruses (part-songs, madrigals, etc.)
- 87 = Sacred choruses
- 88 = Large sacred choral works
- 89 = Large secular choral works
- ML1500 = History of choral music
- MT875 = Choral singing
Using the Catalog
FINDING INFORMATION about choral music and genres:
Do a SUBJECT search in ASU's Library Catalog, using singular form of term.
- Choral music
- Church music
Consult the indexes and bibliography on choral music in major periodicals in the Reference Collection.
- Music Ref ML 128 .C48 C45 (and C451 and C5 1982)
FINDING PRINTED MUSIC or RECORDINGS:
Perform a SUBJECT search in ASU's Library Catalog using an authorized term or phrase from Library of Congress
- Sacred choruses
FINDING A SPECIFIC WORK:
Options in ASU's Library Catalog:
- Do a TITLE search for a distinctive title; use original language if known, and ignore initial articles.
- Do an AUTHOR search under composer's last name, first name. Arrangement of a composer's works is by UNIFORM TITLE; you can jump to the title you need (distinctive title, or form) or browse through the list and follow the cross-references.
Finding Books - Short Thin
The catalog provides access to the library holdings of Appalachian State University (books, movies, music scores, music CDs, government documents, audiobooks, and more).