Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Middle Grades Professional Organizations for ELA Teachers
Finding Professional Associations
Search Google to identify a professional organization associated with your area of education.
Example Google searches:
- mathematics "middle school" association
- "social studies" "middle school" association
- art elementary association
- mathematics middle school association > National Council of Teachers of Mathematics > Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School
- "social studies" elementary association > National Council for the Social Studies > Social Education
Key Education Associations
AERA: American Educational Research Association -- The "big tent"
AESA: American Educational Studies Association -- Research by faculty on social and educational topics
ASCD: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development -- Focused on principals and teachers. Practice and professional development.
Finding Association Publications Online
You can look for the full-text of an organization's publications (magazines and journals) on their website. You can also search the e-Journals to which the library subscribes.
1. Organization webpages. Many professional organizations provide full-text of their articles for free. They may provide different access for association members and non-members. Check their webpages to see what is available.
2. E-Journal Search. The library subscribes to paper or electronic versions of many association magazines and scholarly journals.
- Search the magazine or journal title via the e-Journal search on the library webpage.
- Scan and view entire issues of magazines and journals. Scanning article titles (like a table of contents) provides you with an overview of what is being discussed within the organization/profession.
- Search for a topic within the publication and then read the articles online.